Hillsborough Master Gardener Program
The goal of the Master Gardener Program is to provide comprehensive training on different gardening topics so that Master Gardeners Volunteers can serve as an “Extension” of the University of Florida/Hillsborough County Extension Service and share that information with Hillsborough County residents.
The Master Gardener Class is a 10 week commitment, for approximately 7 hours per day, one day per week. The course fee is $175. Master Gardener trainees are required to complete 75 hours of volunteer service in year one, and obtain 10 continuing education hours. After year one, the minimum requirement for volunteer service is 35 hours per year and 10 continuing education hours.
Examples of volunteer projects include:
- Staff information booths at community events and festivals.
- Serve in an "ask the expert" capacity answering homeowners' call-in and walk-in questions to the Extension office.
- Write horticulture-related news articles for Extension newsletters, local newspapers, and other news outlets.
- Prepare and present programs on horticultural topics to gardening clientele groups, including garden clubs, civic clubs, library plant clinics, and homeowners.
- Assist with programs that engage kids in gardening, including 4-H and school gardens.
- Act as a Florida Yards & Neighborhoods advisor, making on-site visits to assist homeowners with horticulture issues and/or certify yards as Florida-Friendly.
- Develop and maintain the demonstration gardens at the Extension office.
- Assist with workshop registration, planning, packets, surveys, marketing.
If you are interested in becoming a Hillsborough County Master Gardener, please complete and return the “Sprouting Kit” application.
Applicants are added to the list of candidates, and once applications are reviewed, candidates may be contacted for an interview.
Our next Master Gardener Training Course takes place September through November 2017.
Please submit the "Sprouting Kit" application. We will keep your application on file and contact you for the next class.