Physical/Mechanical Controls in IPM
The goal is to prevent or lessen a pest infestation by using physical barriers or interference. A good understanding of the pests and the environment are key to success.
Physical controls include:
- Traps and baits specific to a pest are useful when a population is anticipated and also as a monitoring tool.
- Mulch prevents weeds, keeps soil borne disease from splashing onto the lower leaves of plants during irrigation, and serves as a barrier to soil insects.
- Removal of weeds that harbor pests and disease.
- Hand removal of larger pests, such as caterpillars, when there are only a very few can be cost and time efficient.
- Small infestations of some pests like aphids can be controlled with a strong blast of water until the predators find them.