Florida Yards & Neighborhoods
The Florida Yards and Neighborhoods (FYN) Program is designed to educate homeowners and other community members about the benefits of Florida-friendly landscaping with the help of 9 key principles.
Knowing ways to conserve water and energy in the landscape is a positive step towards helping the environment for future generations to enjoy! You not only reduce your maintenance, but minimize the amount of water, fertilizer and pesticides that need to be applied to your yard.
- Lawn and Garden Events
- Florida-Friendly Principles
- Water-Wise Program
- Rainwater Harvesting
- Landscape Design
- Community Association Outreach
- Community and School Gardens
Results for the 2016 Recycled Yard Art Contest (Feb)
This was the second year we held the Recycled Yard Art Contest at the Florida State Fair. There were 27 entries submitted, 8 more than last year! Click below for the winners and People's Choice Award.
Results of the 2015 Recycled Yard Art Contest (Oct)
Hillsborough County Extension Service and the Florida State Fair sponsored a Recycled Yard Art Contest in Oct 2015. Congratulations to all who entered the contest! We had a record breaking number of votes and more entries than ever, especially from children, which is great!
Results of the 2015 Recycled Yard Art Contest (Feb)
Hillsborough County Extension Service and the Florida State Fair sponsored a Recycled Yard Art Contest in February 2015. Congratulations to all who entered the contest.
Results of the 2014 Recycled Yard Art Contest
Hillsborough County Extension Service and the Hillsborough County Fair sponsored the Recycled Yard Art Contest held October 2014. Congratulations to all who entered the contest.
Results of the 2013 Recycled Yard Art Contest
Hillsborough County Extension Service and the Hillsborough County Fair sponsored the Recycled Yard Art Contest held October 16 through Sunday, October 20, 2013. Congratulations to all who entered the contest.
2013 Property Managers Symposium
Thursday, November 14, 1-5 p.m.
Plant Science Research and Education Unit at the Frank Stronach Conference Center
2556 West Highway 318, Citra, Florida 32113
Great time of year to add mulch to your landscape beds.
Does your yard have drought-tolerant plants which allow you to water your landscape once a week or less? Do you have rain barrels or a cistern? If you answered yes to these questions, you may be eligible for a Community 'Water-Wise Award! Visit www.tampabaywaterwise.org for more information on the awards and to enter your landscape.
Also watch these Tampa Bay Community Water-Wise Awards videos...
- Enter your yard, it might be a winner!
- Landscape Design and Plant Selection
- Retaining Trees and Native Vegetation in the Landscape
- Storm Water Runoff Prevention
- Water Runoff Prevention and Rainwater
- Efficient Irrigation
- 2011 Hillsborough County Community Water-Wise Award Winner: TECO’s Manatee Viewing Center, Apollo Beach
Presentation Handouts from “Florida-Friendly Landscaping™ 101 – Wallet-Wise Watering Tips”
Best Management Practices (including water quality and fertilizer ordinances)
2012 Recycled Yard Art Contest Winners
Here are the winners for the 2012 Recycled Yard Art Contest.
- FYN Handbook
- Bette S. Walker Discovery Garden
- Garden Talk
- Current Watering Restrictions
- Watch the Weather, Wait to Water (179KB pdf)
- Florida-Friendly Yard Recognition (271KB pdf)
- FFL Guide to Plant Selection and Landscape Design (12.57MB pdf)
Agencies & Organizations
- Tampa Water Department
- Tampa Stormwater Department
- Florida Dept of Environmental Protection
- Hillsborough County Adopt-a-Pond
- Environmental Protection Commission
- Soil & Water Conservation
- Tampa Bay Estuary Program
- Southwest Florida Water Management District
- Hillsborough County Water Resource Services
- Hillsborough River Watershed Alliance