Florida Friendly LandscapingTM
Efficient Irrigation Education and Evaluations: Community Associations and Residents
Public Education Outreach Program
The UF/IFAS Extension Hillsborough County office offers a free on-site irrigation evaluation service for community and condominium associations, as well as county residents, that are high volume irrigators. Those with monthly water bills using 15,000 gallons or more of metered water or communities watering a number of homes and common areas from a shared irrigation controller and water source, are eligible for this free service.
This program, coordinated by Paula Staples, offers free on-site presentations to educate community associations, property managers, residents, and landscape maintenance professionals about the Florida-Friendly Landscaping™ program's water conservation activities and landscape benefits.
In addition, Paula is available to present the site report she has created post irrigation evaluation as well as make presentations on select landscape issues at board or communitee meetings, association membership meetings, and to groups of interested community members.
Irrigation elements included in the evaluation:
- Evaluate in-ground sprinkler system operation and timer/controller settings
- Check the rain sensor operation
- Evaluate and identify landscape areas that utilize FFL principles and introduce water saving suggestions for areas that would benefit from integrating FFL.
- "Wet walk" your irrigation system; scouting/identifying issues and suggesting possible water saving solutions
- Estimate water saved after irrigation issues are corrected, and estimate increased savings if "smart" equipment is incorporated into the irrigation system
About the Program
The Public Education Outreach program uses Florida Friendly LandscapingTM principles during landscape and irrigation evaluations and the recommendations are based on scientific research. Following the recommended FFL principles will result in a landscape that is healthy and has a positive impact on the environment.
(813) 744-5519 ext. 54142
- Creating Florida-Friendly Communities
- Hillsborough County Neighborhood Relations
- Tampa Neighborhood & Community Relations
- Community Associations Institute
- Hillsborough County Neighborhood Relations Grants
- Hillsborough County Urban Forestry Program
- Green Industries Institute
- Florida Nursery, Growers & Landscape Association, Inc. (FNGLA)
- Florida Irrigation Society (FIS)
- Landscape Maintenance Association (LMA)