What is 4-H Afterschool?
In Hillsborough County, 4-H Afterschool offers extensive resources for youth-serving organizations to help train staff, implement sound youth development practices, create new after-school programs, and strengthen existing programs. We take our tested, university developed youth programs to area youth centers, YMCA's, afterschool programs and Parks and Recreation centers. It might be a 4-H staff person teaching a special topic or it might be our 4-H staff training youth staff to use our materials.
4-H Afterschool Curriculum
- Grades K – 6: 4-H Embryology
- Learn about life and how a chick comes from an egg. Incubators available to loan plus a curriculum kit.
- Cost of loan of kit/incubator is $50
- Grades K – 6: Water Wise
- A six-week program with our 4-H grant staff to work with your youth about water conservation. Programs are for school and youth center after school care programs from September – May. A summer program of a 2 day Water Awareness is also available. FREE
- Grades K – 6: Recycle Rangers
- A six-week program with our 4-H grant staff to work with your youth about the importance of recycling at home and school. Programs are for school and youth center after school care programs from September – May. A summer program of a 2 day Recycling program is also available. FREE
Start a 4-H Club at your Afterschool care facility
We can help you start a 4-H Club at your facility. The students will have fun and learn life skills. They will also have opportunities to participate in county and state 4-H programs if they desire.
- You need to have at least 1 adult (staff or parent volunteer)
- About 10 – 15 youth
- Sign the youth up on a 4-H registration form / parent permission
- Club can meet once a week or bi-monthly.
- Pick a club name, elect officers.
- Pick a project to learn about together: we have over 100!
Popular projects are foods, gardening, photography, pets and many more…
Cost is $1 for insurance per person – what a bargain! Students do not have uniforms, but your group can get 4-H t-shirts (optional). The program offers special membership pins and recognition pins at a nominal cost. Project books cost about $4.
Display your projects at the Florida State Fair in February – earn ribbons and prize money. Participate in our county public speaking program, attend 4-H camp in the summer…there are lots of things in 4-H to do!
Contact the Hillsborough County 4-H office at (813) 744-5519 if your center is interested in starting a 4-H Club!